The time I was on fire at the thrift store.

Gooooood morning! So this week has been long. I've been crabby and laying low.

But, I had to share a story with you.

I went back and forth about whether or not to post this. Because it's embarrassing.


And crazy. But kind of funny.

OK, really funny. If you know me, this is so AMANDA.

Only this type of shit happens to ME.

So, last night, after work, I went thrifting. Thrifting always cheers me up, so a shopping I went!

Now as I walked into the thrift store, my first thought was: IT SMELLS AWFUL in here.

Like stale cigarettes. Or a casino full of smokers. Or an overflowing ashtray. Or something burning?

I start looking through the racks near the register, and I hear the sales folks say:



Yes, hmm mmm. My thoughts exactly.

I continue on my hunt, and I notice that the smell is kind of following me.

I smell my bag, I smell my coat sleeve, no...smells fine. (Although, I confess, I AM a smoker, so it wouldn't be unusual for me to smell a lil smoky.)

But this is HORRIBLE.

I keep walking, and customers keep giving me glances. LIKE I SMELL.


I think, I gotta get out of here, it reeks and I can't stand it. I am literally getting nauseous.

But, of course, I first had to try on a strawberry print skirt that I found.

I go in the dressing room, but I had to take off my winter coat first (yes, it was freezing here in Minnesota yesterday!)!

As I did so, I saw SMOKE.


I look at my coat and find that a cigarette but was BURNING a hole in my hood; there's fur trim which was also a bit singed....

Turns out, the cigarette must have FLOWN back in my car when I was driving and landed in my hood, so that awful smell EVERYONE was smelling in the store was me.

ME. And I was on fire!!!!!!


Have you ever been on fire while thrifting? Probably not, hmmm?

I just keep thinking at least my hair didn't catch on fire, right? Always a bright side!


Just another day in the life of Amanda. Have an awesome weekend. I will try to, you know, not catch on fire.






  1. Oh no! A girl in my sorority's hair DID catch on fire once during one of our meetings - she was sitting by a fireplace and had super long curly hair. She didn't notice it at first and we're all like, what's that smell and then "OMG J, you're on fire!" And J is like "what?" and then freaked out. And got a little haircut after.

    Did the strawberry skirt at least work out for you?

  2. of course my first thought is, oh no, i hope you didn't wreck your coat! but this is a hilarious story and is just the kind of thing that would happen to me, too.

  3. First, let me say I love your blog. BUT ---what ya doing throwing cig butts out the window???? All the sewers drain into the river and if they don't end up their then they are littering our yards and neighborhoods! I am an avid smoker and look forward to your next post!

  4. Elizabeth SchipperApril 20, 2012 at 9:04 AM

    Oh my goodness!! AMANDA! Be careful with your ciggies!! I don't want my sweetheart to burn!

  5. this kind of made my day. sorry I know it's at your expense, hehe. Usually the thrift stores around us have a 'who shit their pants' odor. Now I'll be looking around for who literally shit their pants.

  6. Hahhaha that is too funny. I'm glad you told us. It sucks that it happened, but you have to admit, it's reaaaally funny, lol.

  7. I'm really glad you decided to share this story because it totally cracked me up :) Sorry that it happened but it does make for a really funny story! But I do hope your coat survived AND I'm sorry your week wasn't great. I lit my hair on fire at work once, I was cleaning off a table and one of my pigtails dipped into the candle and started on fire. Yeah, embarrassing. Did you get the strawberry skirt??

  8. I laughed out loud the entire time I was reading this. So funny - although I'm sure at the time it wasn't. Oh and thrifting TOTALLY cures a crappy day, doesn't it?

  9. I linked my email instead of my website. It's late. I'm going to bed.

  10. Found your blog through My Girl Thursday. This story made me a follower on bloglovin!